We know a lot about wild animals, use meat or wool.
However, there are those among them whose names we know, but hardly ever seen live. As an example, we can mention badgers. We know the name very well, but few people can imagine the appearance of this animal, even fewer have seen a badger in their lives. Besides their unusual appearance, badgers have a lot of interesting features.
Many forest dwellers are killed for the sake of beautiful fur, but the badger managed to avoid such a fate. Their fur is hard, it is unpleasant to iron, on the collar it looks untidy, so badgers are not caught for the production of clothing. People could not leave these animals alone and get their fat from badgers to treat various diseases. We present to you 10 interesting facts about badgers.
Interesting facts about badgers
- Due to its appearance or useful fat, the badger has “spelled” on the coats of arms of some cities around the world. Thus, the image of the animal can be seen in the city of Shenkursk, Russia.
- Badgers are not exterminated by humans and do not touch other animals. Badgers defend themselves by releasing a jet of bad-smelling liquid. From such “weapons” they run away and wolves and bears. However, despite such a formidable defense, badgers are considered very funny and friendly animals. They often play with congeners and go to each other “to visit”.
- Friendly animals also extend to other forest dwellers, badgers often allow other animals to live in their holes, but only as long as they remain guests. However, there are also those animals that are strictly forbidden to enter the badger’s house – martens, ferrets, and cats.
- There are also some interesting facts about the structure of the house. Badgers’ paws are powerful, they can dig deep branching holes for several dozen families. What’s more, it’s common for badgers to dig a hole once for all, passing it on as an inheritance.
- Badgers are very clean, pick up the bedding and regularly change it, and the toilet is dug separately a few meters from the house.
- As soon as the badger finishes arranging the house, he starts looking for a couple. These animals are monogamous and live with one partner all their life. If one of the couples dies, the rest of them live alone.
- The Asian congener of an ordinary badger is a honey-eater. This beast is famous for its fearlessness. The honey badger kidnaps cheetah cubs, cleverly takes food from a lion, and copes with poisonous snakes.
- Among forest dwellers, badgers are considered the most common. These striped animals have settled on every continent except Antarctica.
- Unlike most wild animals, a badger is good with humans and feels comfortable in captivity. In the natural environment, these animals rarely live to 12 years, in captivity – often celebrate their 16th birthday.
- Badgers are very independent animals. In particular, newborn badgers open their eyes only 45 days later, and 3 months after their birth they go hunting on their own.
Mysterious badgers hide many secrets, if you know their secrets or interesting facts about badgers, write about them in comments.
Did you like interesting and fun facts about dogs? Share it with your friends.