Butterflies are airy, weightless creatures, familiar to many of us.
Beautiful or not, they are all living proof of the wonder of nature. When they are born as caterpillars, they acquire wings and fly away to leave their offspring again in the form of caterpillars. Butterflies are amazing, and the variety of their species can amaze anyone. Today we will tell you interesting facts about butterflies.
Interesting facts about butterflies
- The smallest butterfly, Johanssonia acetosea, wingspan – only about 2 millimeters. The largest, Thysania Agrippina – up to 28 centimeters.
- Butterflies, like elephants, feed with their proboscis. To be more precise, the trunk.
- In total, there are about 165 thousand species of butterflies and moths in the world. Yes, yes, exactly thousands! And most of them prefer to lead a nightlife.
- The wolves, the night moths, know how to catch a wolf’s breath. This belligerent whirring imitates that of a bee uterus, which allows the wizard to easily get into the beehive and enjoy honey, which is a fair share of his diet.
- Butterflies are found on all continents except Antarctica.
- Butterfly eyes consist of more than a thousand facet elements each.
- The receptors responsible for the taste are located on the butterflies’ feet.
- Some types of butterflies lay more than a thousand eggs in their lifetime, very short, from which the caterpillar’s hatch.
- Butterflies are happy to eat many other species, such as birds and chameleons.
- The northernmost of the butterflies live less than a thousand kilometers from the North Pole, on Canada’s Queen Elizabeth Island.
- In China, India, and some South American countries, the population eats butterflies.
- Some types of butterflies can develop during the flight speed exceeding 60 km/h, per minute of flight covering a distance equal to twenty or thirty thousand lengths of their own body.
- Most butterflies are afraid of water, but, for example, lilac fennel can easily break out if it accidentally falls into the water, shake off and fly further.
- Monarch butterflies know about medicinal plants and know how to use them for medical purposes if their offspring need help.
- Butterflies do not have such an organ as the heart.
- Butterflies are distinguished by only three colors – red, yellow, and green.
- There are also vampire butterflies, which eat in the same way as mosquitoes do – Calyptra eustrigata. However, only males eat blood, while females prefer plant food.
- The skeleton of a butterfly, or rather an exoskeleton, is not inside its body, but outside. All internal organs are inside it.
- The butterfly-cabbage is very fertile. If all offspring of at least one cabbage tree survived, during the season its descendants would be born so much that they would weigh three times more than all people on Earth combined.
- In China, butterflies are considered a symbol of love and lovers.
Did you like interesting facts about butterflies? Share it with your friends.