Cats, along with dogs, are some of the most popular pets in the world.
However, not all their breeds live in cozy apartments – countless of these creatures still lead a wild and free life. And, if you think about it, a lot of facts about cats we simply do not know, even though they live with us in the neighborhood. We have collected the most amazing facts about cats, after which you will certainly miss a fluffy purring friend.
Interesting facts about cats
- The smallest modern wild cat is a black-legged cat. Females are less than 50 cm long and can weigh only 1.2 kg.
- Cats can’t taste sweets.
- The door for domestic cats was invented by the eminent scientist Isaac Newton.
- Cats are mostly left-handed and cats are right-handed.
- Pet cat owners are 17% more likely to hold a degree.
- Many people are touched when cats rub their feet, although, in fact, animals simply mark their territory in this way.
- The brain of cats is similar to that of humans in many ways – the same areas are responsible for emotions.
- Cats reduce their owners’ risk of heart attacks and strokes by about a third.
- The vast majority of owners of cats (95%) talk to their cats.
- The first cat to be named by its owner lived in Ancient Egypt. The loving owner called her Nedge, which translates as “sweet”.
- Mentally capable cats are inferior to dogs but can solve more difficult problems if desired.
- Contrary to popular belief, many cats can’t stand milk. Raw fish cats are also better off not being fed.
- The frequency of cat purring is the same as that of muscles and bones.
- Cats can make around 100 sounds and dogs can only make ten.
- Cats spend about 70% of their lives sleeping.
- The largest cat’s body length was over 1.2 meters.
- Cats use about 20 muscles to move their ears.
- There are approximately 500 million domestic cats in the world.
- Dusty’s cat made it into the Guinness Book of World Records because of its fertility – it has produced 420 kittens.
- One-third of cat owners consider their fluffy cats to be able to read their minds.
- Cats sniff food before they eat because that’s how they determine their temperature.
- According to some reports, Napoleon Bonaparte was panicking cats.
- A cat named Stubbs was the mayor of Talkeetna in Alaska for 15 years. Another cat tried to be the head of Mexico City in 2013.
- The original version of Cinderella’s fairy godmother was a cat.
- In Britain and Australia, black cats are believed to bring good luck.
Did you like interesting facts about cats? Share it with your friends.