Insects are some of the most invisible but at the same time the most numerous inhabitants of the Earth.
In some people, they cause instinctive horror, but others willingly keep them at home or even dedicate their lives to research. The world of insects is amazing and multifaceted, and they are not limited to the usual mosquitoes and butterflies. Today we will tell you interesting facts about insects.
Interesting facts about insects
- Currently, more than a million species of insects are known, but scientists believe that the Earth is home to two to eight million species.
- Each year, scientists discover more than seven thousand new insect species.
- Each year, spiders eat more than all people on the planet.
- Representatives of many species of rare insects have fallen into the hands of the researchers only once.
- Insects do not have a skeleton – this role is played by an external exoskeleton of chitin.
- The mosquitoes can drink all the blood out of a person. Another thing is that there should be a lot of mosquitoes, as many usually do not happen at once in one place.
- Scientists still can’t understand how beetles fly, because according to all laws of physics and aerodynamics, they should not fly.
- Some species of dragonflies live only about a day.
- Mosquitoes give preference to people who have recently eaten bananas.
- The fastest insect on the planet – dragonfly, it can reach speeds of at least 60 kilometers per hour.
- The only insect that can turn its head to the side is the mantis.
- Fleas can jump to a distance equal to 120-130 lengths of their own body.
- The strongest insect – the ant, it can lift a weight that exceeds its own many dozens of times.
- Ticks can go without food for up to ten years.
- Insects live on all islands and continents without exception. They exist even in Antarctica.
- Each eye of a dragonfly consists of about twenty thousand small lenses.
- Butterflies can taste with the help of their feet – this is where their taste buds are located.
- Every year, about a quarter of the world harvest is eaten by insects.
- During the season, the average bee swarm makes about 150 kilograms of honey in the hive for winter. In this case, one bee in its entire life produces less than one-tenth of a teaspoon of this delicious product.
- Ants never sleep.
- A swarm of locusts may include up to fifty billion individuals.
- Clothing in a closet eats not an adult moth, but its larvae.
- Tsetse flies do not attack zebras, as their striped color misleads flies.
- In Thailand, insects are actively used in cooking.
- Every day, all bees on Earth produce about three thousand tons of honey.
Did you like interesting facts about insects? Share it with your friends.