Today we will tell you interesting facts about parrots.
Parrots are extremely interesting birds, and it’s not just about the ability of some of them to talk. They are smart and funny, therefore they are so popular as pets in many countries.
Interesting facts about parrots
- Parrots have an excellent sense of rhythm – they can rhythmically dance to music.
- About one-third of all parrots are now threatened with extinction by human activity and poaching.
- Australia has special schools for parrots where these birds are taught to talk.
- Many parrots love alcohol. In nature, they get it by eating fermented fruit and nuts.
- Parrots do not know how to talk in the usual sense of the word – they just remember and repeat the words. However, not only words – they can memorize and reproduce some other sounds.
- The breeding and sale of parrots make a significant contribution to the Czech budget.
- Parrots have no vocal chords, so they produce all sounds using their tongue and beak.
- The smallest parrots live in Papua New Guinea. The size of an adult parrot, more precisely, its body length, is 8-9 centimeters.
- The biggest parrots are Amazon parrots, they’re the size of a three-year-old child. Their body length can exceed a meter.
- A flock of parrots in the wild can be huge. The largest flock ever found was about 70,000 birds!
- In search of food, cockatoos can fly over seven hundred kilometers in a day.
- Most parrots eat plant food and sometimes catch insects, but Kea parrots are real predators and even attack fairly large animals, like sheep.
- The most popular home parrot is the wavy parrot.
- In Ancient Rome, a parrot cost more than a slave.
- Famous naturalist Steve Irwin easily worked with alligators and poisonous snakes, however, he felt fear of parrots. That’s an unusual phobia.
- Once in the US, a domestic parrot helped solve a burglary case. Criminals in an empty apartment called each other by name, not shy, and the parrot remembered these names and repeatedly repeated them in the presence of the police, which helped the guards of order to take a trace.
- The smartest parrot named Jacot knew about four hundred words.
- The smallest parrots live 15-25 years, but the big ones can live a hundred. Real longevity.
- The heart of an ordinary wavy parrot makes over two hundred beats per minute. Although, of course, it can’t be compared to a hummingbird anyway.
- Nowadays, there are more domestic parrots in the world than wild parrots living in nature.
- Of all the innumerable bird species, only parrots can absorb food by holding it in their paws.
- Parrots were domesticated about three thousand years ago.
- Cockatoos can move their head with a crest, a scallop.
- Most parrots live in a warm climate, but the Kea parrots mentioned above prefer to live in the mountains where it is cold.
- A big parrot, such as a cockatoo, can easily eat a man’s finger with its 10-centimeter beak.
Did you like interesting facts about parrots? Share it with your friends.