Starfishes are very interesting creatures.
They are distant relatives of sea urchins, although its appearance is difficult to determine. They are very famous, and many are also very dangerous. For example, the star is a crown of thorns covered with poisonous spikes. There are other interesting facts about starfish.
Do you know that sea stars are more than two thousand species? What about the fact that they have as many eyes as rays? We have collected the most amazing facts about starfish.
7 Facts about starfish
- Despite its primitiveness, the starfish live up to 35 years.
- Starfishes live underwater, but they have no gills. They breathe with the help of outgrowths located all over their bodies. Blood, too, they do not have it is replaced by water. They do not have a brain, but the stars can see well, even if they do not distinguish colors. But these creatures have got two stomachs. One of them can go outside, digest food, and go back inside.
- Starfishes can reproduce in any way. If conditions are favorable, they lay eggs that mature for three weeks. In this case, the animals can change the floor to perform another function. If the conditions are unfavorable, the stars throw away one of the rays. Soon, a full star will grow out of it, and the mother will grow a new limb.
- Starfishes are incredibly strong. They easily tear crab shells to pieces and open shells of bivalve mollusks, while their sashes are very tightly compressed.
- There is a starfish, a Culcita. It is unique in its body shape – its rays are so small that the creature seems to be a ball. However, it is still a star.
- When mentioning a starfish, many people draw a small creature with five rays in their imagination. Stars have up to fifty rays.
- It is very popular to think that sea stars live only in warm waters. They live even in the Arctic and Antarctic.
TOP 3 most interesting facts about starfish
- Starfishes are cannibals. They are ready to eat endlessly, and their congeners are sometimes also victims.
- Despite the huge external differences, the closest relatives of the sea stars are sea urchins, sea lilies, sea cucumbers. The latter differs from the stars only in rays that resemble snakes.
- Different types of sea stars have different developed senses. So some of them can crawl to prey for days, while others do not feel anything at a distance of a centimeter from the victim.
Of course, all the facts about sea stars in one article can not fit. For example, these creatures have no immunity at all. And their heart makes only seven beats per minute. And that is not all.