Tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vegetables are a permanent part of our diet.
But can parrots eat cucumbers? After all, we want to give useful fruit and a pet! Let’s try to clarify this point.
Can parrots eat a cucumber: why is it useful for birds?
Parrots can not only give cucumbers and tomatoes but also need! Birds have a great interest in them. And this applies to representatives of different breeds – and Budgerigars, and Cockatiel.
So, what is the use of fresh cucumbers for feathered pets? It would seem what can be useful in a vegetable, 90% of which is water? However, it tends to contain the following useful substances:
- Cellulose fiber – there is a long debate about its benefits for Cockatiels and other birds. Some researchers say that the parrot has almost no digestion of this element. However, as it turned out, and a small amount of it is enough to improve the gastrointestinal tract.
- Beta-carotene – prevents cellular oxidation. It is also worth to feed the bird with this vegetable, because thanks to it, the Cockatiel or Budgerigars is cleaned of toxins. To the surprise of many, such a harmful poison, as a toxin, is characteristic for birds.
- Folic acid – without it, the organs and tissues will not form properly. It also provides a high percentage of the production of enzymes and important amino acids. With folic acid, the cardiovascular and immune systems have nothing to fear.
- Vitamin A – responsible owners of birds are obliged to feed their favorites with food containing it. This vitamin strengthens the immune system, protects the skin from the negative effects of various external factors. Also, a Budgerigars or Cockatiel gets a strong healthy bone system.
- Vitamin B1 is indispensable for normal fat, carbohydrate, and protein metabolism.
- Vitamin B2 – amazing, but thanks to the most ordinary fresh cucumber, a Cockatiel or a parrot of another kind get a healthy reproductive system. This vitamin also helps the erythrocytes to form.
- Vitamin C – is necessary for normal hematopoiesis, maintenance of the hormonal system in good condition. Bacteria and viruses of different calibers with it are fearless, as practice shows!
- Vitamin PP – will support the blood, nervous, cardiovascular system in excellent condition. It will help to work better in the digestive tract, to exchange amino acids. It has been proven that food through PP is better absorbed.
- Potassium – helps the heart work. Together with magnesium, it regulates the so-called water balance in the body.
- Magnesium is necessary for almost all systems of the bird.
- Iodine – it is very abundant in cucumbers. Experienced parrot owners know it, and therefore, if possible, feed their favorite cucumbers. Iodine helps the bird’s brain to work better, the cells of the vessels make them more elastic. Fat metabolism also does not do without this element.
- Zinc – helps tissues to quickly update. Thanks to it, the musculoskeletal system and the muscles work more effectively. Metabolism improves.
- Cuprum– provides metabolism of amino acids, synthesizes hemoglobin, enriches the skin with collagen.
- Chromium – without it, carbohydrate and fat metabolism, normal tissue repair is impossible. The thyroid gland also functions better with this help.
- Sodium – promotes the activity of food enzymes, so that the rest of the food is perfectly absorbed. The nervous and muscular system cannot work without this element. Thanks to sodium, an important process such as salt metabolism also takes place.
Recommendations on how to feed a cucumber parrot correctly
We have figured out why caring owners feed parrots with cucumbers. Now we need to understand how to properly serve them:
- A cucumber must be fresh. Even if the processed vegetables seem unusually delicious and processed personally, you should remember that parrots are not human. His stomach may have a completely different opinion. The bird may even get poisoned, so no pickles!
- The fresh cucumber should be of high quality. What does it mean? If possible, it is better to serve that vegetable which is grown personally. Store cucumbers are not clear about how grown vegetables often contain nitrates and other substances. This is done to accelerate growth, to extend the shelf life of the product, to get rid of pests. Is it worth saying that such substances hurt the health of birds? Of course, not all people can keep their vegetable garden. In this case, you need to find places where they sell really good quality vegetables. It is also preferable to buy pickles in the season of their natural growth – winter ones more often contain nitrates.
- Cucumbers should be washed before serving. The best solution is also to peel it from the peel. Thanks to this step, toxins and other substances are more likely not to get into the stomach of your pet.
- For more convenience, it is better to cut the cucumber finely in the form of miniature bars. It is also possible to process a cucumber on a medium or large grater. And then you should hang it on special hooks, skewers – so the food will become a more interesting parrot. However, you can also put the vegetable in a bowl.
- You can’t give a lot of this vegetable to a parrot by any means! Despite the huge benefits. As usual, the “golden mean” rule applies here. For example, a piece of cucumber a day, cut into smaller pieces, is quite enough. If you feed the parrot from the soul, this kind of hospitality may not auction on the bird in the best way. In particular, the intestines and stomach will suffer. Especially in cases when the bird has an increased acidity of the digestive system. Such acidity is not normal, but in some parrots, it is found. Veterinarians call it “pathology of the digestive system”. Because there is a lot of water in the cucumber, the kidneys and the excretion system of the bird will not say “thank you” either.
Cereal food, which is often fed to Cockatiel and wavy parrots, is certainly useful. However, even more, parrots will be happy if you give them a product such as a cucumber. Either a tomato or some other vegetable, fruit, berry, melon. A bird, just like a man, loves variety. Especially if it is useful.