Today it is not uncommon to meet dogs walking around in shoes.
Pet stores offer a wide range of dog shoes and boots. Do four-legged pets need this accessory or is it just a whim of owners who follow fashion?
What are the dangers of winter walks?
Wearing shoes by a dog is especially justified in winter. They will protect your dog’s paws from environmental hazards. It can be harmful to the animal:
- snow. It clogs between your fingers on your paws, thaws away from the heat of the dog’s body, and then turns into ice. The ice prevents the pet from walking, causing discomfort, so the animal has to stop and bite out the ice lumps;
- the reagents that sprinkle snow-covered streets lead to burns of the paws and cracks;
- water resulting from the use of reagents or during thawing. Small dogs with thin soft hair on their paws suffer most from it. It gets wet very quickly, making the quadruple-legged friend freeze for almost the entire walk;
- different kinds of garbage: shards of glass, small sharp pebbles, and other objects injure the paws of the animal. Often, it is quite serious.
Given the above, we can conclude that wearing shoes during walks is justified for the animals. Spending time on shoes for your pet, you will save his paws from injuries and visit the veterinarian. Also, shoe paws do not get dirty, they do not need to be washed after walking.
The main thing is comfort and reliability
Buying boots for a dog is almost no different from buying human shoes. Here too, convenience and reliability play a major role.
Shoes should fit the size of a pet and fit his paws tightly, otherwise, he will sting or rub. An important nuance: dogs of ornamental breeds and puppies should choose shoes exactly the size, and large pets – by the size larger. Otherwise, because of the distribution of weight when walking and running the dog will be tight.
In addition to the size, when choosing shoes, pay attention to the following points.
- The shoe material should be natural, elastic, and waterproof. All elements are not glued but stitched or soldered. From the inside the shoes should be smooth, without insulation: the dog will not freeze unless his paws get wet, so it is not necessary.
- The sole. It is supposed to be tight and has a small tread for better grip on slippery surfaces. This is extremely important because a shoed dog can’t use his claws, risking falling and getting hurt.
- Clasps. The most suitable options are Velcro or strap. The zipper is uncomfortable with the fact that its hair can get into it, causing the dog pain.
- Decorative elements. The smaller, the better. First, they add extra weight to the shoes. Secondly, they will provoke an animal to taste them.
Habituation through play
It is necessary to accustom the dog to shoes at home. For the first time, it is enough to put shoes on the pet for just a few minutes. In the future, gradually increase this interval.
Attempts of the animal to take off his shoes immediately stop with a prohibition command. Try to distract a four-legged friend from the unusual feeling of playing. For the right behavior praise and encourage with a treat, so that the shoes are associated with positive emotions. When the shoes become a familiar accessory for your pet, you can go for a walk in them.