Turtles are creatures considered synonymous with slowness and slowness.
We will present you with interesting facts about turtles. They inhabit both on land and in water, and if water turtles prefer fresh rivers and lakes, others prefer the salty seas and oceans. In any case, these creatures are truly amazing.
Interesting facts about turtles
- Turtles can cry. True, not from emotions – so they get rid of excess salt accumulated in the body.
- Despite its shell, turtles are not invulnerable. Jaguar, for example, likes to hunt them – its long and flexible paws allow you to do it with constant success.
- The largest of all types of turtles is leathery. The weight of an adult can reach 700-900 kg.
- The long-extinct archaeon turtle weighed over two tons.
- The meat of some species of turtles is poisonous because of the peculiarities of their diet. Thus, leatherback turtles eat poison jellyfish, which in turn makes their meat poisonous.
- Soft-skinned turtles do not have shells.
- Some tortoises live more than a hundred years.
- Turtles know how to memorize and distinguish between human faces.
- Turtles live on all continents except Antarctica, as well as on many islands.
- Leathery turtles can dive to a depth of more than a kilometer, despite the monstrous pressure of the water column.
- The larger the female turtle, the more eggs she can lay at one time.
- The sex of the calves that will emerge from the laid eggs depends on the ambient temperature. By the way, the same situation is observed in crocodiles.
- Aqueous species of turtles in their native element is not as slow as on land – during swimming, they can reach speeds up to 30-35 km / h.
- Only one species (of more than three hundred) turtles calmly endures the cold – turtle Blanding, which lives in northern Canada, in the Great Lakes.
- Swamp turtles – a record for starvation. If necessary, they can do without food until 4-5 years.
- Great sea turtles understand the language of dolphins, which is confirmed by experiments and observations.
- In case of danger, the Mediterranean turtles hiss like snakes.
- Having laid eggs, turtles forget about them forever. Of all kinds of these creatures, only one takes care of his offspring, guarding the laying of eggs.
- Sea turtles can navigate in space, using the magnetic field of our planet.
- Most species of turtles are listed in the International Red List.