Amazing seahorses are almost the most unusual inhabitants of the water column.
Although from the zoological point of view, they belong to fish, they look really amazing, and their behavior is quite different from most other fish. Unfortunately, due to pollution of the World Ocean, their population in many regions of our planet is gradually declining. We present to you seahorse fun facts.
Interesting facts about seahorses
- In China, these sea creatures are eagerly eaten. According to official data, every year, Chinese fishermen catch more than 20 million seahorses, but in fact, this number is much higher due to poaching.
- On average, only 1 out of 100 seahorses live to a mature age. The rest become prey for other fish.
- They move very slowly by themselves, so sometimes they cling to other fish and travel in this way. Once in the right place, they unhook and leave their “transport”.
- Currently, 30 of the 32 existing species of seahorses on Earth are in danger of extinction. The pollution of the world’s oceans causes them even more damage than poaching.
- It is not a female who carries offspring, but a male. Fertilized eggs are in a special “pocket” on his body until small but viable fry hatch.
- Immediately after birth, the fry immediately leaves the parent forever.
- For normal existence, seahorses need calm and clear water, so most of their life they slowly drift in the water column. And the rocking, for example, in a transported aquarium, can kill them.
- It is not easy to breed these amazing creatures in artificial conditions. Moving to a new place causes them severe stress, which often leads to a hunger strike and subsequent death from exhaustion.
- The seahorses’ menu is based on small shrimps and crayfishes. Yes, all their species without exception are predators. Since they are very slow, they are usually at rest until the potential prey is within a throw distance.
- Loyalty to the partner seahorses remains forever. Having found a pair, they are no longer separated. In this case, the female always chooses a male, not vice versa.
- Due to a lack of stomach seahorses are doomed to eat all their life. Immediately after catching the prey, the useful substances contained in it are absorbed, and waste is removed.
- Remarkable and dorsal fin seahorses – a second it makes an average of 30 movements.
- Dwarf seahorses are the slowest fish in the world. In calm water, they move at a speed of up to one and a half to two meters per hour.
- These creatures are characterized by mimicry. Changing the color of their bodies, they pursue two goals at once – hiding from both predators and their potential prey.
- Despite the different appearance of these creatures, seahorses and fish have needles long ago, millions of years ago, had a common ancestor.
- Seahorses are not able to counteract anything to the predators, because they can not defend themselves. All they have is thorns covering their bodies.
- These amazing creatures are found only in warm water. In cold water, they die quickly.
- Powders and potions from seahorses have a prominent place in traditional Chinese medicine. It is believed that they help strengthen male strength.
- Seahorses got their name because of the visual similarity with the chess piece “horse”.
- The body length of adult dwarf seahorses usually does not exceed 2 centimeters. Representatives of the largest species sometimes grow to 30 centimeters.